Monday, September 12, 2016

Interview #1

This person was allowed to wear her natural hair on television because her news director and her viewers liked the way it looked. “When I was first hired I received so many emails from viewers saying they love d how my hair looked and felt like I represented the natural black woman very well, especially in this small city.” She said she heard about black women adding weave and straightening their hair but she never felt the need to because her news director never mentioned it. “I figured that if he hired me with my hair this way, he didn’t mind. But I do get afraid when it comes to applying for my next job because black women in large markets never wear their own hair, it’s all weave.” She says she isn’t willing to conform and if she was offered a large job but had to change her look, she would not take it, “Obviously it’s easy to say when you’re not in the situation, but I don’t want people to focus on my hair, I want them to hear what I have to say.”

No comments:

Post a Comment